Knoxville Pediatric Dentist
When it comes to the well-being of your children, as parents, we want the best for them. But, with busy family schedules, you might be tempted to take the simple route and send your child to your regular dentist rather than a pediatric one. Is that such a bad thing?
Here’s why it would be best to opt for a pediatric dentist over a general dentist.
What is a General Dentist?
Most dentists are part of the general dentist category. General dentists sometimes are called family dentists, mainly when they see patients of all ages. However, it is crucial to understand a general dentist’s qualifications.
General dentists earn either a:
- – DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine)
- – DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery)
Both degrees mean they have completed four years of undergraduate education and four years of dental school, including academic training and hands-on learning. They are qualified to do most procedures like fillings, crowns, implants, etc., but do not have a specialization.
General dentists do not need additional training and certifications. They can provide services and care to patients of all ages. Still, they have a different depth of knowledge and specialized training in children’s dentistry compared to a pediatric dentist.
What is a Pediatric Dentist?
Pediatric dentists specialize in diagnosing and treating dental issues in infants, children, and teenagers to ensure optimal oral health as they grow. Pediatric dentists are specialists in children’s dental problems and only provide care to kids ranging from newborns to young adults.
Additional training and certification are required to become a pediatric dentist. They receive their undergraduate degree, then their DMD or DDS degree, and then go through a rigorous post-graduate pediatric residency program for 2-3 years after dental school.
They then can choose to study for an additional two years to become board-certified pediatric dentists of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry. It demonstrates specialized knowledge and proficiency in providing exceptional patient care while staying up-to-date with the latest knowledge in pediatric dentistry.
Why Choose a Pediatric Dentist Over a General Dentist?
The specialized approach to kids of all ages makes pediatric dentists a superior choice for children’s dental needs, including preventive and restorative measures. Below are just a few reasons to have your child see a pediatric dentist in Knoxville, TN:
- – Knoxville pediatric dentists have extensive knowledge and training in child-specific dental issues. Board-certified pediatric dentists are trained to make your child feel safe and comfortable during treatments.
- – Specialized training allows them to explain oral hygiene and dental care procedures in a fun and friendly manner that is understandable to kids.
- – A kid-friendly pediatric office helps your child feel comfortable and cooperative during cleanings and treatments.
- – Highly trained pediatric dental staff that understand how to approach children delicately and know how to make children’s visits exciting and fun.
- – Knoxville pediatric dentists use specifically designed equipment for children. Parents can expect the latest technology to ensure gentle and effective procedures for their kids.
Visit Your Knoxville Pediatric Dentist
If you want quality dental care for your child, please schedule an appointment with your Knoxville pediatric dentist. At Bryant Family Dentistry, we specialize in treating baby teeth all the way to early adulthood. We look forward to meeting you and helping your children achieve the best oral health possible.